East Hampton's Main Street is stunningly beautiful and wonderfully preserved. But it's even more lovely if you know something about the old stately (and some not so stately) buildings that line the street and the people who lived in them. Here then is a guide to some of the interesting old structures along Main Street.Read More
East Hampton Main Street Architectural Walking Tour
Lyman Beecher House
Rev. Lyman Beecher lived here from 1799 to 1810; he was an American Temperance Society co-founder and father of Uncle Tom’s Cabin author Harriet Beecher Stowe.Owner George Hand renovated the house in 1850 in the Greek Revival style. It is now East Hampton Village Hall.
The oldest part of the house was built for Rev. Nathaniel Huntting in 1699. It has been an inn since the American Revolution. David Gardiner described the "High merriment and frolicking, the oceans of flip, the cans of well-tempered punch and gin toddy" found there.
David Huntting House
This 1800 house was built c. 1800; dormer windows and a porch were added in 1923. Private house.
First Presbyterian Church
The original building, constructed in 1861, was in the Romanesque Revival style. The portico, bell tower and spire were added in 1960.
First Presbyterian Church Manse
The manse—correctly speaking, a “manse” is a home for a Presbyterian minister—was originally a small house built c. 1830 and enlarged in the 1880s.
This is a simple yet elegant Federal style house built about 1800 by Samuel Sherrill. An earlier Samuel Sherrill was shipwrecked off Long Island in 1670. Private house.
Frank Cartwright House
This 1885 house was built in the then-fashionable Queen Anne style. Frank Cartwright, a Mason, is buried in South End Cemetery. Private house.
Thomas Wickham House
This early saltbox had a gable roof added about 1865. Thomas Wickham was a delegate to the Revolutionary Congress of New York in 1775. Dr. George Huntington, who named Huntington’s Disease, lived here. Private house.
Jeremiah Mulford House
Jeremiah Mulford was a Sag Harbor whaling captain. This Greek Revival/Italianate house was built for him circa 1860. Private house.
James Arrowsmith House
This 1872 Italianate house is often known as the Gingerbread House. James Arrowsmith was a teacher at Clinton Academy. Private house.
Samuel G. Mulford House
This kind of house is often called a “single house” since they are only one room wide. Samuel G. Mulford and his wife are buried in South End Cemetery. Private house.
Designed by Aymar Embury and opened to the public in 1931, this Georgian style building is an art gallery and performing arts space.
Henry Tuthill House
This house was built in 1876 and owned by “Squire” Tuthill, who was blind but served as East Hampton’s justice of the peace for 40 years. Private house.
The house was built circa 1680 for Capt. Josiah Hobart. Samuel Mulford bought the house in 1711, and it remained in the family until 1948. Now it is run by the East Hampton Historical Society.
Home Sweet Home
The house, with its striking catslide roof, was built in the 1720s. The parlor paneling is attributed to c. 1750. John Howard Payne, a playwright and actor, who wrote the song, "Home, Sweet Home," in the nineteenth century, was supposed to have been inspired by this house. It belongs to East Hampton Village.
Built by Samuel Schellinger in 1804. Belongs to East Hampton Village.
St. Luke's Episcopal Church
Thomas Nash, the architect of this 1909 church, modeled it after All Saints in Maidstone, England.
St. Luke's Episcopal Church Rectory
This is an English Arts and Crafts house built in 1909, when the style was most popular.
Ezekiel Howes House
This 1850 Greek Revival house was built by Ezekiel Howes, a Sag Harbor whaling captain. It was originally one story. Private house.
This very old building was made into a house in 1870 for the miller working the Gardiner Windmill. Private house.
This is an English style windmill built in 1804 by Nathaniel Dominy V.
This tiny house still sports its original nineteenth century door and windows. Private house.
The Hedges Inn
The Hedges Inn was built in 1873 by John D. Hedges as a boarding house. Mrs. Isabella Hedges was one of the founder of the Ladies’ Village Improvement Society.
Jeremiah Osborn House
This house used to face Main Street. In 1906, it was moved to face Woods Lane. Jeremiah Osborn is buried in South End Cemetery. Private house.
Thomas Moran Studio
This house was built by artist Thomas Moran in 1884 as a home and studio for himself and his wife, artist Mary Nimmo Moran. The house is currently being restored by the Thomas Moran Trust and the East Hampton Historical Society.
Isaac W. Miller House
This house belonged to architect Aymar Embury who remodeled it. He called it Third House because he believed that it was the third house built in East Hampton. It belonged to Isaac Miller before then, who purchased it from the Hedges family. Private house. (It sold in 10/2012 for $825K.)
David G. Thompson House
The Thompsons were connections of the Gardiners, and this 1830s house was sold to President John Tyler’s son in 1882, who was also the son of Julia Gardiner Tyler. It was remodeled about 1905. Private house.
William L.H. Osborn House
Built in 1840 as an inn, it is known today as c/o The Maidstone. The front doorway is a beautiful Greek Revival example. William Lewis Huntting Osborn is buried in South End Cemetery.
Horace Isaacs House
This 1836 house, with original windows and two-panel front door, incorporates the frame of a 1774 house moved from where St Luke’s Rectory now stands. It cost $140 to move the old house down the street in 1836. Private house.
William Hedges House
This very early house was owned by various members of the Hedges family for 150 years. Private house.
William King House
This 1872 Second Empire house was built by William King, a founder of the Maidstone Club. It sold in February 2012 for $2.187M.
James Harper Poor House
Now a hotel called the Baker House 1650, the J. Harper Poor House was originally an eighteenth century house. The architect Joseph Greenleaf Thorp remodeled the house into the English Arts and Crafts style for its owner, Mr. Poor.
David B. Mulford House
This circa-1680 house was moved to its present spot from Buell Lane. The house is known as Congress Hall because Mulford never shut up about politics. Private house.
George A. Osborne House
This Queen Anne style cottage, built in the early 20th century, typifies an East Hampton summer house. Private house.
East Hampton Library
Aymar Embury, who designed Guild Hall, also architected the library. It’s in the English Arts & Crafts style.
Edwards Drug Store
This 1901 drugstore has a gambrel roof. It’s now the East Hampton Star offices.
Clinton Academy, built in 1784, was one of the first accredited high schools in New York State. The founder designed the school to echo the buildings at Yale University. It's now a museum.
This is the only existing town government meeting place to survive from the Colonial period on Long Island. East Hampton Trustees met here.
This building was constructed around 1785 and may have been a school or an office.
Jonathan Dayton House
Now an inn known as the 1770 House, the house was lived in from 1764 to 1842 by Jonathan Dayton, who kept an inn beginning in 1770.
Joseph S. Osborne House
Built in in 1898, it was designed by its owner Joseph Osborne, who was East Hampton Town Clerk. Private house.
Sarah Diodati Gardiner House
This house was built in 1939 in the Spanish Romanesque style, on the site of an earlier Gardiner house, for Miss Gardiner, then the Proprietor of Gardiner’s Island. The house is currently for sale for $25M. Private house.
Jeremiah Miller House
This plot of land was purchased by the Miller family in 1701. The house, built in 1799, was moved back on its lot and remodeled in 1885. Private house.
Daniel Osborn House
The Osborns were a very old East Hampton family. Two of their members were named Recompence and Bezaleel, names you don’t hear much these days! The Osborns owned this land starting in the 1660s. The current house, built about 1800, incorporates an earlier chimney. Private house.
This house is named after its first and its last owners. It was built about 1720 as a small “single house” by Jonathan Osborn and was expanded over the years, up till about 1880. Now it’s the headquarters of the East Hampton Historical Society.
Col. Abraham Gardiner House
This 1747 Georgian house was moved back from the street in 1924. Though Col. Gardiner was a loyal American, the house was occupied by British General Sir Henry Clinton during the Revolution. Now it is headquarters of the Ladies’ Village Improvement Society.