clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Curbed Cup Elite Eight: (3) Sagaponack vs. (6) Southampton

Who will advance to the Final Four?

Jiashiang, James Kirkikis / Shutterstock.com

Curbed Cup, the annual virtual award for the best neighborhood of the year, is officially kicking off! This week, we’ll be calling for readers to cast their votes. Each poll will only be open for 24 hours, so make sure to get your vote in!

Sagaponack (3)

This year, Sagaponack was seeded higher than usual, and so far the competition seems to be going in the hamlet’s favor. In the first round, Sagaponack beat Quogue & East Quogue, taking home 63 percent of the total votes, leaving Quogue & East Quogue with just 37 percent.

But this round might be a tougher competition against their next opponent, Southampton. Both towns have famed ocean beaches, sought-after real estate, and a booming summer population. The thing that Sagaponack lacks, however, is a structured village with shops and restaurants. Though it does have a few things to do (notably Wölffer Estate Vineyards and tasting room, Townline BBQ, and the Old Stove Pub), there isn’t much of a community aspect to Sagaponack, which might just be its downfall in this round.

Southampton (6)

After defeating Shelter Island in the first round of this year’s Curbed Cup—taking home nearly 70 percent of the total votes—Southampton made a strong move into the Elite Eight.

Southampton is a go-to hub in the summer, known for its quintessentially Hamptons Main Street and village with shops, restaurants, and nightclubs—many of which stay open after the summer rush subsides post-Labor Day. It also has some of the most famous ocean beaches on the East End, particularly Coopers Beach. While the combination of ocean beaches and a community feel is what’s giving Southampton an edge in this competition, the quality it lacks is the private feeling that defines Sagaponack’s appeal.

But which town will advance to the Final Four? Will it be community-driven Southampton, or quiet and reserved Sagaponack? Remember: polls are only open for 24 hours, so be sure to cast your vote!

Townline BBQ

3593 Montauk Highway, , NY 11962 (631) 537-2271 Visit Website

Coopers Beach

268 Meadow Ln., Southampton, NY 11968