clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Two Southampton Houses Given Landmark Status

New, 5 comments

Two houses were recently recognized by the Southampton Landmarks & Historic Districts Board as being historically and architecturally significant: the David Rose and Captain John Rose Residence (above) in North Sea and the Benjamin Foster Homestead in Water Mill. There are at present only 16 structures designed as landmarks in Southampton. Both the Fosters and the Roses were important families with members constantly in public office.

The Rose Residence, at 1679 North Sea Road, is in the hamlet of North Sea, originally settled in 1640. The smaller portion of the white cedar-shingled house, built about 1740, is an early vernacular one-and-a-half story, deep half-cape dwelling. The larger portion is a very good example of early Greek Revival style, and the house retains a high level of historic integrity.

The Benjamin Foster Homestead, at 84 Montauk Highway, Water Mill, was built before 1798 for Benjamin Foster, who was born in 1734. He was related to Christopher Foster, who arrived from England in 1635. The main portion of the Foster Homestead is a one-and-a-half story half-cape from the Federal period, dominant in Southampton from about 1780-1840. The main entry door (and the chimney) is off-center with a distinctive transom of four small windows above it. This kind of house was built to accommodate additions that would eventually make it symmetrical, although the Fosters did not follow this plan when adding to the east and south sides.
· Southampton Town Landmarks and Historic Districts Board [Official site]