clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Fire Damages Historic Shelter Island Inn

Last night, an alert motorist going past an historic Shelter Island inn noticed flames shooting out of the attic. Victoria Weslek then dialed 911 while her husband alerted the resident owners of Belle Crest House, Yvonne and Herbert Loinig, who safely exited the building. After an hour of battling the blaze, the Shelter Island Fire Department called on the Sag Harbor and Greenport fire squads for help. The fire was finally extinguished around 11:15 PM.

Unfortunately, the attractive Victorian building, on North Ferry Road in the Shelter Island Heights section, furnished with antiques, collectibles, and a baby grand piano, was extensively damaged. Police think the fire started in a "compromised" brick and mortar chimney.

"A firefighter responding sustained minor burns and was transported to Eastern Long Island Hospital for treatment, officials said."
· Fire wrecks historic Belle Crest Inn, two owners saved from the blaze [Shelter Island Reporter]
· Fire at Shelter Island's historic Belle Crest Inn [Newsday]
Laura Euler