[Phao, your only choice for Thai food in the Hamptons; Photo courtesy Hamptons Online]
Phao, the trailblazing Thai restaurant that closed in 2003, has been born anew in Sag Harbor this summer. Reviewed quite rigorously by the local press in the past few weeks, we thought we'd take a look at this smattering of opinions on satay and sexy lighting...
· The East Hampton Star: "Phao is a beautiful restaurant. Some sexy elements remain of Sen Spice: dark-gray-and-gold-flecked walls, some odd and spooky artwork, gold screens dividing booths, and a bar hanging from chains." ... "I am happy to report that the pad Thai was better on this visit, and everyone agreed that it was as close as you can get to an authentic Bangkok version."
· The Sag Harbor Express: "Phao Thai Kitchen offers a number of mainstay Thai dishes, like chicken satay with peanut dipping sauce, fresh shrimp and vegetable summer rolls, wok charred squid with garlic chili sauce and sweet basil, Tom Kha Gai soup, Pad Thai, a crispy Tamarind duck, pineapple fried rice and several curries." ... "While just recently opened, Phao Thai Kitchen has become a place for the environmentally friendly to gather, [and was] the site of a Green Drinks event last Thursday..."
· The East Hampton Press: "Longtime Phao fans will be relieved to see that the new menu incorporates many of the original restaurant’s classic dishes." ... "Phao offers three types of martini—sake, lychee, and XXpresso, as well as "Phao lemonade" with Bull Dog gin and guava juice."
· Hamptons Online: "It might seem that opening a Thai restaurant right next door to a Japanese restaurant would create some competition between the two, but [owner Jeff] Resnick stands by his business model, saying it's not uncommon for Japanese restaurants to also serve Thai food. 'They're not conflicting at all; like in Florida especially they have sushi places that also serve Thai in the same restaurant.'"
· Whiz, Bang, Phao! [EH Star]
· Restaurant with a Green Sensibility [SH Express]
· Phao Brings Back Thai to Sag Harbor [EH Press]
· Resnick Brings Back Phao... [Hamptons Online]