Once again, the holidays make the calendar a little lighter than usual, so to sum up the year that was, we take a look back at the top 5 events of 2009. Relive the magic and have a most excellent holiday weekend. See you in '10.
5) Art For Life - Russell Simmons' annual benefit at his home in East Hampton is one of the more star-studded East End events, and 2009's 10th anniversary bash delivered. $1 million was raised for Rush Philanthropic Arts with the help of host Soledad O'Brien and honorees Vanessa Williams, Sheila C. Johnson and Target.
4) Great Chefs Dinner - This annual foodie benefit for Jeff Salaway’s Scholarship Fund brings some of the world's greatest chefs to the Hamptons to cook for the masses. (Think: Portale, Ripert, Colicchio, among others...) Fans rejoice, Great Chefs 2010 is set for August 8th.
3) Bridgehampton Polo - A six- Saturday yearly event at Two Trees Stables, Bridgehampton Polo brings out the best (and sometimes the worst) of the Hamptons social set. Nacho Figueras's one-man quest to make his sport popular in America is seemingly a success with crowds growing for the '09 Mercedes-Benz Challenge.
2) Super Saturday 12 - Hosted by the unusual team of Donna Karan, Ariel Foxman, InStyle, Kelly Ripa and Blake Lively, the 12th annual 'shopping in a field' event raised big bucks for the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund. QVC reported live on the scene of this year's East End shopping extravaganza, adding an element of glamour to the insanity.
1) Hamptons International Film Festival - Now in its 17th year, HIFF offered up a couple of Clooney films and a selection of early Oscar contenders at the 2009 festival, with big names flitting around the Columbus Day weekend event. Solidifying its place at number one: Award recipient and mentor to young filmmakers, Sharon Stone.